Medical certificates for travelers under current international infectious disease control laws
In response to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, several countries are requiring visitors to undergo a pre-travel PCR test and obtain a certificate of a negative test result and a certificate of low risk of COVID-19 infection.
Our hospital provides PCR testing and can issue the necessary medical certificates.
Novel coronavirus PCR test (not covered by national health insurance, free medical care, initial consultation fee included)
- Intended for persons traveling for business or study, or to return home.
- Please check with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, embassy, or other reliable source for the travel destination to see if there are any documents that you must bring with you at the time of testing.
- This test does not guarantee entry or eliminate restrictions on entry activities.
- You need to have been in good health for the two weeks prior to the test.
- Inspection to certificate issuance usually takes 1–3 days.
- If the test result is positive, you will be required to follow the instructions of the public health center as an infected person.
PCR test fee
20,000 yen (tax included)
*We also provide nucleic acid amplification testing (real-time PCR method) using nasopharyngeal swab, saliva, or other samples.
Medical document issuance fee
Two types of medical document can be issued depending on the requirements of the travel destination. Examples of the two types of document and their associated fees are shown below. If your travel destination requires the use of a specific form, please bring the form with you on the day of the test.
- Certificate of Negative PCR Test Result for COVID-19 for Overseas Travel
3,000 yen (tax included)
- Medical Certificate of Low Infection Risk + Certificate of Negative PCR Test Result for COVID-19 for Overseas Travel
6,000 yen (tax included)
Examples of the medical documents that can be issued:
Before making an appointment, please check with the embassy of the travel destination to see when the PCR test must be conducted.
Depending on the country, the test may need to be conducted or the test results received within a specific period of time before travel (e.g., within 72 hours before entry, 72 hours before boarding, within 5 days of entry).
Please be aware that PCR tests take time and that the number of days required to receive the results varies depending on the type of PCR test required, which in turn depends on the requirements of the travel destination.
PCR test times and time until receipt of results are shown below.
【Test day and time】
Day Morning test Afternoon test Telephone appointment Monday 9:30-12:30 14:00-19:15
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday 9:30-12:30 14:00-19:15 Friday 9:30-12:30 14:00-19:15 Saturday － 14:00-15:50
【Time until receipt of test results】
Morning test Result Afternoon test Result Monday (AM) Tuesday (9 AM) Monday (PM) Wednesday (9 AM) Tuesday (AM) Wednesday (9 AM) Tuesday (PM) Thursday (9 AM) Wednesday (AM) Thursday (9 AM) Wednesday (PM) Friday (9 AM) Thursday (AM) Friday (9 AM) Thursday (PM) Saturday (9 AM) Friday (AM) Saturday (9 AM) Friday (PM) Monday (9 AM) Saturday (PM) Tuesday (9 AM)
- Please note that PCR tests cannot be processed on public holidays or other consecutive holidays and so the test results will be delayed during these periods.
- Depending on the amount of virus detected, re-examination may be required, which will require an additional 1–2 days.
- PCR testing requires an advance telephone reservation.
- When the inspection schedule is decided, please fill in the reservation form.
*If there are any other documents requested by your destination country, please email us in advance. (The required documents vary depending on the travel destination.) If these documents must use a prescribed format, please fax an example to us before the test day.
- Please arrive 10 minutes before your appointment.
- Please bring your passport and fill out the questionnaire and consent form provided.
- Once we receive your test results, we will contact you by phone.
If you come to the hospital, we will explain the test results in person and issue your negative test result certificate.
Alternatively, we can send your certificate by registered mail. If you wish to receive your certificate by mail, please speak to the person in charge on the day of your test.
Please refer to the table above for the date of certificate issuance.
- PCR testing is a test with limited sensitivity (the probability that an infected person is judged positive) and specificity (the probability that an non-infected person is judged negative). It is possible that the presence or absence of infection and the test results do not match.
- Depending on the travel destination, there may be strict requirements regarding the timing of the PCR test (e.g., within 72 hours before boarding the aircraft or 72 hours before entry into the country).Therefore, depending on the date of travel, it may not be possible to issue a certificate in time. Please contact us in advance for details on the schedule.
- Test specimens are transported to the testing company. Please note that we will not be held liable if certificate issuance is delayed due to delays during transport.
- In rare cases, the test results may be put on hold and certificate issuance may be delayed. Please note that we are not responsible in this case.
- Please check the necessary documents for boarding and entering the destination country and the conditions for PCR inspection. We are not responsible for any documents other than PCR inspection results.
Below is a link to the Ministry of Foreign Affair’s overseas safety website. Please check the entry restrictions for your travel destination. Please note that it may be difficult for us to respond.
https://www.anzen.mofa.go.jp/covid19/pdfhistory_world.html (in Japanese)
Information on COVID-19 from the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare (in several languages and simple Japanese)
Information on COVID-19 from the Japanese Association for Infectious Diseases (in Japanese)